The Landmark Project: CHL# 1015

CHL# 1015 RICHARD NIXON BIRTHPLACE In 1912 Frank and Hannah Nixon built this modest farmhouse on their small citrus ranch. Here Richard Nixon was born, January 9, 1913, and spent his first nine years. He served his country as Congressman, U.S. Senator, Vice President, and 37th President of the United States (1969-1974). He was the […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 451

CHL# 451 THE ORTEGA-VIGARE ADOBE Erected during mission days, 1792-1805, this is the second oldest adobe in this region. Originally ‘L’-shaped, it is now only half its original size. In 1859, the adobe became the property of Don Jean Vigare and in the early 1860s, as San Gabriel’s first bakery, it was separated from the […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 1011

CHL# 1011 FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT TEXTILE BLOCK HOUSE (THEMATIC), FREEMAN HOUSE The Samuel and Harriet Freeman House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1924, is one of four residences that were designed to be affordable and modular constructed using the cheap building material of concrete. These houses were constructed from a textile block […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 1011

CHL# 1011 FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT TEXTILE BLOCK HOUSES (THEMATIC), ENNIS HOUSE This house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1924 for Charles and Mabel Ennis. It is one of four textile block houses registered as Landmark No. 1011. Also on the US National Registry of Historic Places. Descriptions of each landmark are […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 847

CHL# 847 VENTURA COUNTY COURTHOUSE The courthouse was designed in 1910 by one of the early pioneers of architecture in Southern California-Albert C. Martin, Sr. Dedicated in July 1913, the structure is an outstanding example of neoclassic architecture, a style prevalent in the United States at the turn of the century. The courthouse is an […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 310

CHL# 310 MISSION SAN BUENAVENTURA This mission, established in 1782, was the ninth and the last to be dedicated by Father Junípero Serra. The first chapel and church were destroyed, the present mission church was begun in 1793 and completed in 1809. Also on the US National Register of Historic Places. Descriptions of each landmark […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 158

CHL# 158 MISSION SAN GABRIEL ARCÁNGEL The mission was founded September 8, 1771 by Padres Pedro Benito Cambon and Angel Fernández de la Somera. The present church building was begun during the latter part of the 18th century and completed in the year 1800. Also on the US National Register of Historic Places. Descriptions of […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 157

CHL# 157 MISSION SAN FERNANDO REY DE ESPAÑA Mission San Fernando Rey de España was founded by Father Lasuén in September 8, 1797. A house belonging to Francisco Reyes, on Encino Rancho, furnished temporary shelter for the missionary in charge. An adobe chapel, built and blessed in December 1806, was damaged by the destructive earthquake […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 199

CHL# 199 THE SERRANO ADOBE Cañada de los Alisos, also called El Toro, was granted to José Serrano in 1842 by Governor Alvarado. Senor Serrano and his relatives erected a number of adobes on the grant, one of which still serves as private living quarters. Also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Descriptions […]