CHL# 242 MISSION SAN DIEGO DE ALCALA
On Sunday, July 16, 1769, Fathers Junípero Serra, Juan Vizcaino, and Fernando Parrón raised and blessed a cross to establish Alta California’s first mission. Relocated from Presidio Hill to this site in August 1774, the mission was the Mother of those founded in California by the Franciscan Order. The present buildings, first completed in 1813, were rebuilt in stages from 1915 to 1931 after many years of deterioration. They have been in use as a parish church since February 1941.
Also on the US National Register of Historic Places and a US National Historic Landmark.
Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.