CHL# 452 MULE HILL
On December 7, 1846, the day following the Battle of San Pasqual fought five miles east of here, General Stephen Kearny’s command, on its way to San Diego, was again attacked by Californians. The Americans counterattacked and occupied this hill until December 11. Short of food, they ate mule meat and named the place ‘Mule Hill.’
Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.