CHL# 200 MISSION SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO
Founded in 1776 by Padre Junípero Serra, this is the seventh in the chain of 21 missions established in Alta California to christianize and civilize the Indians. The stone church was destroyed in 1812 earthquake. Expropriated during Mexican rule, the mission was returned to the Catholic church in 1865 by proclamation of President Abraham Lincoln.
Also on the US National Register of Historic Places.
Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.