The Landmark Project: CHL# 201

CHL# 201 PIONEER HOUSE OF THE MOTHER COLONY Anaheim’s first house, built in 1857 by Founder George Hanson. ‘The Mother Colony,’ a German group that left San Francisco to form a grape-growing colony in Southern California, selected the name given to this settlement. The vineyards, which became the largest in California, were destroyed by disease […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 364

CHL# 364 SANTA MARGARITA ASISTENCIA (SITE OF) This asistencia served as an outpost or chapel and storehouse for Mission San Luís Obispo. Here the mission padres and the Indians carried on extensive grain cultivation. Christine’s Note:  This is private property and not open to the public. Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 936

CHL# 936 RIOS-CALEDONIA ADOBE This imposing building is an excellent example of California’s Mexican-era architecture. With Indian labor, Petronilo Ríos built the two-story adobe about 1846 as his residence and the headquarters for his sheep and cattle operations. Named ‘Caledonia’ in the 1860s, it served as a hotel and stop on the stage route between […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 326

CHL# 326 MISSION SAN MIGUEL ARCÁNGEL This site was selected because of the great number of Salinan Indians that lived in the vicinity. Fray Fermín Francisco de Lasuén, OFM, second president of the California missions, founded San Miguel Arcángel on July 25, 1797. The 16th in a chain of 21 Franciscan missions, it influenced not […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 494

CHL# 494 RICHARDSON ADOBE Los Coches Rancho (8,994.2 acres) was granted to María Josefa Soberanes de Richardson by the Mexican government in 1841. Her husband, William Brunner Richardson, a native of Baltimore, Maryland, built the adobe house here in 1843, and planted the nearby locust trees in 1846. This was the site of Captain John […]