CHL# 936 RIOS-CALEDONIA ADOBE
This imposing building is an excellent example of California’s Mexican-era architecture. With Indian labor, Petronilo Ríos built the two-story adobe about 1846 as his residence and the headquarters for his sheep and cattle operations. Named ‘Caledonia’ in the 1860s, it served as a hotel and stop on the stage route between Los Angeles and San Francisco until 1886. Restoration was begun in 1968 by the Friends of the Adobes.
Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.