CHL# 228 CARBONDALE
This is the site of the 1878 coal discovery. The mine, called the Santa Clara, was operated by the Southern Pacific. The village of Carbondale was built on the flat. When the mine was closed down, Carbondale’s buildings were moved away and today not one remains.
Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.