The Landmark Project: CHL# 316

CHL# 316 PRESIDIO OF SONOMA (SONOMA BARRACKS) Sonoma Barracks was erected in 1836 by General M. G. Vallejo. It became the headquarters of the Bear Flag Party, which in June 1846 proclaimed a ‘California Republic’ and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma’s Plaza. Twenty-three days later, on July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake Sloat took […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 17

CHL# 17 BLUE WING INN Erected by General M. G. Vallejo about 1840 to accommodate emigrants and other travelers, the Inn was purchased in gold rush days by Cooper and Spriggs, two retired sea-faring men, and operated as hotel and store. It was among first hostelries in Northern California. Notable guests, according to local tradition, […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 3

CHL# 3 MISSION SAN FRANCISCO SOLANO On July 4, 1823, Padre José Altamira founded this northernmost of California’s Franciscan missions, the only one established in California under independent Mexico. In 1834, secularization orders were carried out by Military Commandant M. G. Vallejo, and Mission San Francisco Solano became a parish church serving the Pueblo and […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 342

CHL# 342 SITE OF MISSION SANTA CRUZ Mision la Exaltación de la Santa Cruz, the 12th Franciscan Mission, was consecrated by Father Fermín Lasuén in August 1791. In 1793 the adobe church was built where the Holy Cross Catholic Church is now located. The mission was damaged by several earthquakes and finally collapsed in 1857. […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 220

CHL# 220 MISSION SAN RAFAEL ARCÁNGEL The San Rafael Arcángel Mission, 20th in the chain of the 21 California missions, was established in 1817 by the Franciscan Order. After the ‘decree of secularization’ in 1834, the buildings gradually fell into ruin. The mission was reconstructed on the original site in 1949. Descriptions of each landmark […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 334

CHL# 334 MISSION SAN JOSE On June 9, 1797, troops under Sergeant Pedro Amador, accompanied by Father Fermín Lasuén, set out from Santa Clara for the spot that the natives called Oroysom in the valley of San Jose. The following day a temporary chapel was erected, and on June 11, the father presidente ‘raised and blessed […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 327

CHL# 327 – Mission San Francisco de Asis (Mission Dolores) The sixth mission to be founded was San Francisco de Asis. This mission was dedicated by Father Junipero Serra on October 9, 1776; construction of mission buildings was completed 1784. Mission Dolores has none of the usual arches, arcades, and towers which adorn the more […]