CHL# 316 PRESIDIO OF SONOMA (SONOMA BARRACKS)
Sonoma Barracks was erected in 1836 by General M. G. Vallejo. It became the headquarters of the Bear Flag Party, which in June 1846 proclaimed a ‘California Republic’ and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma’s Plaza. Twenty-three days later, on July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake Sloat took possession of California for the United States government. Stevenson’s Regiment, Company C, U.S.A., occupied the barracks in April 1847.
Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.