CHL# 492 BUTTONWILLOW TREE
This lone tree, which gave the town of Buttonwillow its name, served as a landmark on an old trans-valley trail. An ancient Yokuts Indian meeting place, it later became the site of settlers’ stock rodeos. Miller and Lux established their headquarters and store here about 1885.
Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.