CHL# 121 AGUA MANSA
Don Juan Bandini, owner of the Jurupa Rancho, donated parts of his rancho to a group of New Mexican colonists in 1845 on the understanding that they would aid in repelling Indian raids on his stock. The community was named Agua Mansa-Gentle Water-and was prosperous until 1862, when a great flood suddenly swept down the Santa Ana, carrying away the village of adobe buildings and covering the fields with sand and gravel. The village was rebuilt on higher ground, but never regained its former prosperity.
Christine’s Note: Does not appear to be open even though there was a sign listing entrance fees. Confusing.
Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.