CHL#74 CASA DE CARRILLO
Presidio Comandante Francisco María Ruiz built this house next to his 1808 pear
garden lake in 1821 for his close relative and fellow soldier, Joaquín Carrillo, and his large family. From this adobe dwelling, in April 1829, daughter Josefa Carrillo eloped to Chile with Henry Delano Fitch. When Ruiz died in 1839 and Joaquín soon afterwards, son Ramon Carrillo sold this property to Lorenzo Soto. It was transferred several times before 1932, deteriorating gradually, until George Marston and associates restored the house and grounds and deeded them to the City of San Diego as a golf course.
Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.