In general, deadlines aren’t something I enjoy. While it can push me to be productive, it also sucks the fun out of doing crafty things for me. Sometimes it is unavoidable, though, so this is how I deal with the deadline blues.
- Count backwards. How many days do I have to finish said item?
- Do math. If I have to finish X steps or Y rows, how many do I need to do per day in order to finish on time?
- Ignore project. Usually for about half the time I have to finish it. Oops.
- Do math again.
- Force myself to do the required portion per day. Then I can put the project down and go work on whatever it is that I would be more fun. This is admittedly crazy, as without the deadline, I probably would have enjoyed the project just fine.
- Panic. As the due date gets closer, worry I won’t be done in time.
- Shop. Let’s face it, I am not meeting the deadline. Time to buy a back up gift.
The moral of the story here is to just not commit to any deadlines. 🙂 But if you must, follow steps one, two and five to completion.