I lost at yarn chicken. But like with most things, it’s not my fault! 🙂 Okay, maybe it is partially my fault for trying to make an adult size hat out of a kit made for child sizes, but upon reading notes in Ravelry from others that have also made these hats, the pattern runs very small. No worries, though, I found a second kit at my local yarn store, so I was still able to finish the hat rather quickly.
Just as a refresher, this is the DMC Top This Monkey kit. I did a cast on of 80 stitches, did 2×2 ribbing for 15 rows, continued with stockinette for 6 inches, and then did a set up row for decreases. For my decreases, I placed a stitch marker every 10 stitches for 8 wedges on the crown. I knit until 2 stitches before the marker, then knit 2 together. I alternated decrease rounds with knit rounds for the 6 rows, and then just did decrease rows until I had 8 stitches left. Using a needle, I weaved the end through the 8 remaining stitches and secured the end on the inside of the hat.
This was a request for a friend, so I hope she likes it!