The Landmark Project: CHL#369

CHL# 369 CHAPEL OF SANTA YSABEL (SITE OF) The first mass at a site nearby was celebrated September 20, 1818 by Father Fernando Martin. By 1822, Santa Ysabel was an asistencia, or mission outpost, that had a chapel, a granary, several houses, a cemetery, and about 450 neophytes. After secularization in the 1830s, priestly visits became […]

The Landmark Project: CHL#412

CHL# 412 JULIAN Following the discovery of gold nearby during the winter of 1869-70, this valley became the commercial and social center of a thriving mining district. Ex-Confederate soldier Drury D. Batley laid out the town on his farmland and named it for his cousin and fellow native of Georgia, Michael S. Julian. By 1906 most […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 939

CHL# 939 Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments (Thematic) – OLD TRAPPER’S LODGE Old Trapper’s Lodge is one of California’s remarkable Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments. It represents the life work of John Ehn (1897-1981), a self-taught artist who wished to pass on a sense of the Old West, derived from personal experiences, myths, and tall […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 992

  CHL# 992 SITE OF CONTRACTOR’S GENERAL HOSPITAL In 1933, Dr. Sidney R. Garfield opened Contractor’s General Hospital six miles west of here. His modest facility successfully delivered health care to Colorado River Aqueduct workers through a prepaid insurance plan. Later, in association with industrialist Henry J. Kaiser, Dr. Garfield applied the lessons he first […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 152

CL# 152 DOMÍNGUEZ RANCHHOUSE The central portion of the ranchhouse was built in 1826 by Manuel Domínguez. Rancho San Pedro, ten square leagues granted provisionally by Governor Fages to Juan José Domínguez in 1784, was regranted by Governor Solá to Cristobal Domínguez in 1822. In the battle of Domínguez Ranch, fought here October 8 and […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 718

CHL# 718 SITE OF THE INITIAL UNITED STATES AIR MEET About a half mile southeast of this spot, on Dominquez Hill in historic Rancho San Pedro, the first air meet in the United States was held during January 10-20, 1910. This area has evolved into one of the world’s leading aviation-industrial centers. Note from Christine: […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 1020

CHL# 1020 LEO CARRILLO RANCH (RANCHO DE LOS KIOTES) Between 1937 and 1940, these adobe and wood buildings were built by actor Leo Carrillo as a retreat, working ranch, and tribute to old California culture and architecture. The Leo Carrillo Ranch, with its Flying ‘LC’ brand, originally covered 2,538 acres and was frequented by Carrillo […]

The Landmark Project: CHL# 66

CHL# 66 CONGRESS HALL SITE This building was originally a two-story public house built by George Dewitt Clinton Washington Robinson about 1867. From this building one of the last survivors of the pony express rode north. Note from Christine – now a vacant lot. Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical […]