CHL# 66 CONGRESS HALL SITE This building was originally a two-story public house built by George Dewitt Clinton Washington Robinson about 1867. From this building one of the last survivors of the pony express rode north. Note from Christine – now a vacant lot. Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical […]
CHL# 63 PLAZA, SAN DIEGO VIEJO (WASHINGTON SQUARE) This plaza was established as the center of the Mexican Pueblo of San Diego which elected its first ajuntamiento in 1834. On July 29, 1846, at 4 p.m., Lieutenant Stephen C. Rowan, U.S.N., from the U.S. sloop-of-war Cyane, raised the American flag over the plaza. Descriptions of […]
CHL# 71 CASA DE MACHADO This adobe house, constructed about 1832 by José Manuel Machado, pioneer leatherjacket soldier of the Spanish Army who arrived at San Diego Presidio about 1782, is now used as a community church. Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.
CHL#72 CASA DE BANDINI This adobe house was constructed about 1827 by José and Juan Bandini. As headquarters of Commodore Robert F. Stockton in 1846, it was the place where Kit Carson and Edward Beale delivered their urgent message of December 9, 1846, calling for reinforcements to be rushed to the aid of General Kearny. […]
CHL# 53 CASA DE ESTUDILLO Three generations of Don José María Estudillo’s family made their home in Casa de Estudillo. Rich in historical background, the casa is often pointed out, erroneously, as Ramona’s marriage place. Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.
CHL# 70 CASA DE PEDRORENA This was the home of Miguel de Pedrorena, who arrived in San Diego Viejo in 1838. Don Miguel was a member of the Constitutional Convention at Monterey in 1849. Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office of Historical Preservation website.
CHL# 491 THE EXCHANGE HOTEL This tablet marks the site of the Exchange Hotel. Here, on June 29,1851, Masons met for the first time in San Diego and organized the lodge which became San Diego Lodge No. 35, F. & A.M., the oldest lodge of Masons in Southern California. Note from Christine: I couldn’t find […]
CHL# 538 FIRST PUBLICLY OWNED SCHOOL BUILDING The first public schoolhouse in this county, the Mason Street School-District No. 1, was erected at this site in 1865, when San Diego County covered an area larger than three New England states. It was restored by popular subscription in 1955. Descriptions of each landmark are from the […]
CHL# 73 CASA DE STEWART Adobe house constructed by José Manuel Machado in 1830s for his daughter Rosa, wife of John C. Stewart. Stewart was a shipmate of Richard Henry Dana, Jr. who describes his 1859 visit to this house in Two Years Before the Mast. Descriptions of each landmark are from the California Office […]
CHL#74 CASA DE CARRILLO Presidio Comandante Francisco María Ruiz built this house next to his 1808 pear garden lake in 1821 for his close relative and fellow soldier, Joaquín Carrillo, and his large family. From this adobe dwelling, in April 1829, daughter Josefa Carrillo eloped to Chile with Henry Delano Fitch. When Ruiz died in […]